Avocado toast has kind of become synonymous with millennials; the cause of all our financial hardships, our indulgence in putting this fancy fruit on some toast is the reason none of us can afford to buy a home or save for our futures… apparently. But honestly, it’s worth it. This simple yet delectable dish has taken the breakfast and brunch scene by storm, captivating the taste buds of foodies and health enthusiasts alike.
Avocado toast has become a breakfast staple for many, but when did this mouth-watering combination first make its appearance? The popularity of avocado toast skyrocketed around the late 2000s and early 2010s, as social media platforms like Instagram and Pinterest began to showcase its vibrant green hues and creamy texture. Soon enough, it became a go-to dish for cafes and restaurants worldwide, with people sharing their own creative variations online. Avocado toast became not just a satisfying meal, but a symbol of culinary innovation and food photography prowess.
Now, the important question is, is avocado toast actually healthy? The answer is a resounding yes. Avocados are packed with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which can help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. They are also a fantastic source of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and keeps you feeling fuller for longer. Avocado toast is a great way to incorporate these nutritious benefits into your morning routine.
So, what about the calorie content of avocado toast? On average, a slice of whole-grain bread topped with half an avocado will provide you with approximately 200-250 calories. While avocados are relatively high in calories due to their fat content, it is okay because they are healthy fats that provide essential nutrients and energy. It’s important to note that the calorie content can vary depending on the type and thickness of bread you use, as well as any additional toppings or spreads you decide to add.
On the subject of toppings, there’s an almost infinite number of ways to prepare avocado toast, and each of us will have our favourites. While a classic avocado toast is simply mashed avocado on toasted bread with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, the possibilities for customization are endless. You can get creative with a wide range of add-ons to suit your taste preferences. Here are a few ideas:
1. Poached eggs: Top your avocado toast with a perfectly poached egg for a protein-packed breakfast that will keep you fueled throughout the day.
2. Smoked salmon: Elevate your avocado toast with a few slices of smoky, delicate smoked salmon. The combination of flavours is simply divine.
3. Cherry tomatoes and basil: Add a burst of freshness and tanginess to your avocado toast with juicy cherry tomatoes and then top with some chopped up fresh basil. Black pepper is optional but recommended.
4. Sriracha sauce: If you like a bit of spice, drizzle some sriracha sauce over your avocado toast for an extra kick. Mix it up a bit with some lemon juice for a hot and sour taste.
5. Cream cheese and everything bagel salt: Cream cheese isn’t just for bagels. Try sprinkling some everything bagel seasoning onto your avocado-topped cream cheese-on-toast.
6. Balsamic glaze and strawberries: For a unique twist, try a drizzle of balsamic glaze and a few slices of fresh strawberries. The sweet and savoury combination is surprisingly delightful.
7. Bacon and goat cheese: We made it to number 7 before mentioning bacon! Try crumbling some cooked crispy bacon and a little bit of goat cheese onto your avocado toast.
8. Yoghurt and za’atar: Get a little Lebanese by adding a smearing on a healthy amount of whole-milk yoghurt and top with za’atar.
9. Feta cheese and scallions: Feta is a perfect cheese to top your avocado toast, and if you want to make it just a little more special, add some sliced scallions.
10. Soft egg and garam masala: Let’s finish how we started, and if you want to take your poached eggs on avocado toast up a notch, sprinkle with garam masala or another Indian spice blend like curry powder or rasam mix to add some unique flavour to your breakfast or brunch.
Remember, the key to a great avocado toast is using high-quality ingredients. Choose ripe avocados that yield slightly when gently squeezed and opt for whole-grain or artisan bread for added fiber and nutrients.
Avocado toast has rightfully earned its place in the hearts and stomachs of food enthusiasts around the world. It offers a healthy and versatile option for breakfast or brunch, with a plethora of topping choices to suit every palate. So, whether you’re a seasoned avocado toast aficionado or a newbie looking to join the craze, grab a ripe avocado, toast your favorite bread, and get ready to experience a delicious and satisfying meal that will keep you coming back for more.