Are you tired of the same old workout routines and looking for something new and exciting to help you stay fit and healthy? If so, you should definitely consider giving Winsor Pilates a try. It’s not just another fitness fad; it’s a tried-and-true method that can transform your body and your life.
Winsor Pilates is a fitness program that combines elements of traditional Pilates with dynamic movements designed to sculpt and tone your body. Created by the renowned fitness guru Mari Winsor (hence the name), this workout method focuses on building core strength, flexibility, and lean muscle mass.
At the heart of Winsor Pilates is the Pilates method itself, which was developed by Joseph Pilates in the early 20th century. This method emphasizes precision and control in every movement, with a strong focus on your core muscles. Winsor Pilates takes this concept and adds a modern twist to create a workout that is accessible to people of all fitness levels.
Made popular during the height of fitness videos and workout DVDs, Winsor Pilates tends to focus more on shaping the body using a combination of classical Pilates exercises performed in a specific, yet nontraditional order to maximize results.
Winsor Pilates involves 13 Pilates movements performed on a mat, including exercises like the Roll-Up, the Hundred, and the Single Leg Circle. The exercises are performed in 20-minute workouts which makes it ideal for beginners, as well as those who are short on time.
Winsor Pilates was created by fitness expert Mari Winsor, who is renowned for her expertise in the field of Pilates and has trained numerous celebrities, athletes, and fitness enthusiasts. Her dedication to spreading the benefits of Pilates led her to create the Winsor Pilates program, which has gained immense popularity worldwide.
Winsor began her career as a professional dancer in New York City, working in theater companies and then as a dancer in music videos in the 1980s. She qualified as a PIlates instructor and founded her own studio in 1990 and credits the practice with helping her recover from multiple injuries she sustained from a motorcycle accident in 1994.
After becoming known as a celebrity Pilates instructor, Winsor released several books including” The Pilates Powerhouse” (1999), “The Pilates Workout Journal: An Exercise Diary and Conditioning Guide” (2001), and “The Pilates Pregnancy: Maintaining Strength, Flexibility and Your Figure” (2009).
Sadly, Winsor passed away in 2020 after being diagnosed with ALS a few years earlier. But her unique approach to fitness is still celebrated and helps people build core strength, flexibility and overall well-being at any fitness level.
What are the benefits of Winsor Pilates?
There are many different benefits to taking a Winsor Pilates class. One of the biggest benefits is that you’ll get active and will move your body in a healthy way. But there are even more benefits, outside of just feeling great! Key benefits of Winsor Pilates include core strength, improved flexibility, stress relief and more.
Winsor Pilates places a significant emphasis on strengthening your core muscles. A strong core helps you to improve your posture, stability, and overall body strength.
The dynamic movements in Winsor Pilates help increase your flexibility. Improved flexibility can lead to reduced risk of injury in everyday activities and a greater range of motion.
If you’re looking to sculpt and tone your muscles, Winsor Pilates is an excellent choice. The controlled movements target specific muscle groups, helping you achieve a lean and sculpted physique.
Like traditional Pilates, Winsor Pilates places a strong emphasis on controlled breathing and mindfulness. This can help reduce stress, improve mental clarity, and promote relaxation.
Winsor Pilates can help correct poor posture by strengthening the muscles responsible for maintaining an upright position. This can alleviate common issues like back and neck pain caused by bad posture.
If you’re ready to try out Winsor Pilates, here are a few things to do to get started.
1. Check with your doctor: Before starting any new fitness program, it’s often wise to consult with your healthcare provider, especially if you have any underlying medical conditions or concerns.
2. Choose a class: Look for local fitness studios or online classes that offer Winsor Pilates sessions. Make sure the class fits your schedule and skill level.
[Find a studio near you on ClassPass]
3. Gather equipment: Winsor Pilates typically requires minimal equipment, such as a yoga mat and comfortable clothing. Some classes may incorporate props like resistance bands or small hand weights, so be sure to check with your instructor for specific requirements.
4. Hydrate and fuel Up: Stay hydrated and eat a light meal or snack a couple of hours before your class to ensure you have the energy and stamina for the workout.
5. Arrive early: Arriving a few minutes early will give you time to set up your mat and get acquainted with the studio or virtual class platform.
When it comes to choosing the right attire for your Winsor Pilates class, comfort and flexibility are key.
1. Form-fitting clothing: Opt for form-fitting, moisture-wicking clothing that allows you to move freely without restriction. You don’t need to get the fanciest or professional-grade workout gear to get started, just something you can move comfortably in.
2. Layers: If you’re attending a class in a studio, consider wearing layers that you can easily remove as you warm up during the session. As it’s not a high-impact class, it’s important to be comfortable, and you don’t want to be too cold when you get started or meditate, nor do you want to be uncomfortably warm when things get going.
3. Hair accessories: If you have long hair, a hair tie or headband can help keep your hair out of your face while you exercise.