Exercise is one of the best things you can do for your physical and mental health. A planned workout routine can structure your workouts to keep you motivated and help you achieve your fitness goals. But how do you build one?
Read on to find out how to start your new workout routine.
How to start working out
New to working out and feeling overwhelmed?
Before you start working out:
- Assess your fitness levels and check in with your doctor for advice, if you’re concerned.
- Decide what you want to achieve and set your fitness goals – write them down to keep yourself accountable!
- Make sure you’ve got a comfortable pair of sneakers and workout gear to sweat in.
- Explore fitness classes near you on the ClassPass app.
- Get started!
The benefits of working out
Exercise is amazing for your health and mind. These are just some of the benefits you can expect from working out:
Increases muscle tone and bone strength
Regular exercise promotes muscle strength and growth. Not only will you have a more toned physique, you’ll also have stronger bones too. Working out helps build bone density, reducing your risk of osteoporosis.
Improves mood and reduces stress
Working out releases endorphins which will leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. It’s the perfect mood booster after a stressful day.
Improves posture and flexibility
If you struggle with back pain, try exercise classes like yoga, pilates or barre, for improved posture and flexibility. This will help reduce chronic pain.
Promotes better quality sleep
Consistent physical activity is also good for your beauty sleep. Exercise helps improve your sleep patterns for a good night’s rest.
Opportunity to meet new people
Fitness classes are lots of fun and an excellent way to meet new people with similar interests. You might even meet a workout accountability partner to help keep you motivated on your fitness journey.
Check out fitness classes near you on the ClassPass app.
How to pick what workout style works for you
It’s important to find a workout style that suits you to help you remain consistent and have fun while doing it!
Things to consider when picking a workout style are:
- Your goals – Think about what you want to achieve from your workout routine. Perhaps you’d like to tone up and gain muscle definition. Or maybe mindfulness is your main aim. Regardless, you’ll be able to find a suitable workout to meet your goals.
- What you enjoy doing – There are so many different types of workouts and fitness classes that you can choose from – exercise doesn’t have to be miserable! Incorporate activity you enjoy into your workout routine.
- Give different types of workouts a go – The quickest way to find a workout you like is to try out different classes and studios. Unless you give it a go, how will you know?
How to build a workout routine
When building a workout plan, you should:
Set realistic goals
Consider how much time you can commit to your routine. It is better to be consistent rather than set unrealistic goals you won’t stick with. If you’re new to fitness or if it’s been a while since you last set foot in a gym, start slowly and build up your endurance first before progressing to harder goals.
Mix up your workout routine
It is recommended that most adults do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio and 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise three times per week. However, that doesn’t have to be all in one go! Mix up different styles of exercise throughout the week to keep your fitness routine fun and interesting.
Listen to your body
Exercise can be challenging but it shouldn’t be painful. If a particular movement is hurting you, make adjustments or ask your fitness instructor for an alternative exercise. Also make sure to stretch at the end of every workout to avoid injury and reduce muscle soreness the next day.
Include rest days
Recovery time is important to ensure you avoid injury and come back even stronger. Make sure to include rest days in your routine.
Monitor your progress
It can be very motivating to track how far you’ve come. Celebrate your fitness wins so you are encouraged to keep going. Once you’ve achieved a goal, set another to keep challenging yourself!
How often should you change your workout routine
Many experts suggest changing your workout routine every 6-8 weeks to avoid a fitness plateau.
However, it ultimately depends on your goals. If you’re seeing the results you’d like, you feel motivated and you’re enjoying your workout, you don’t need to change things up dramatically.
Try lifting heavier weights, adding more reps or increase the duration of your workouts to keep challenging your body.
Summary of starting a workout routine
Anyone can start a workout routine. Remember to:
- Pick a workout style that motivates you to meet your fitness goals
- Keep challenging yourself by mixing up your workout routine regularly
- Monitor your progress and celebrate your achievements
One thought on “How to Start a Workout Routine”
Thanks for sharing!!